Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Garlic Breath

This shot from the back yard includes our mango tree on the left, the scarlet buds of our Turk's cap in the center, and our palm tree on the right, all bathed in the calm, cloudy light that precedes the storm predicted for this afternoon. I'm still sniffling and coughing, so nothing is getting done, and all projects are on hold.

The insipid and gluttonous Sri Lankan biobot weevils are still munching on the Turk's cap, but in much reduced numbers this year. Maybe they are beginning to fear me. Instead of threatening and yelling at these little bugs, now I just pick them up and blow on them with my usual garlic-thick breath. The word must be getting around--they run and hide when they see me coming. Sometimes a new strategy like this comes to you from outside the box, and you need to be ready for it.

I've been listening to C-Span today, watching the senators spin out some predictable arguments about health care. Yelling and threatening from inside the box, all of which is orchestrated posturing. A new strategy, and some garlic breath, may be the only hope.

From my perspective, universal healthcare is the best solution. People with money could buy supplimental insurance, the more money the better. What could be more American than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment