Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sleep Thinking

At this point in a project, with so many tasks looming ahead, I find myself in perpetual background planning mode. At various times during the day, like when I first wake up in the morning or when I'm reading a book, I become suddenly conscious and realize that I've been sleep-thinking: doing one thing while thinking about another. And lately my thoughts keep returning to the bathroom sink (the custom Mexican sink that goes with the tile design) and how to design a structure to hold it and how to attach that structure to the wall, etc., etc.



Of course, I'm still in the middle of ripping out the old bathroom, and I have more pressing issues to consider, like the enclosure around the bathtub. The builders made the original walls 2 inches thick, but not just to annoy me or to show off. It turns out that the bathtub is about 5 feet long but the distance between the wall studs at the head and foot of the tub is about 5 feet, 3 inches. If I installed the backer board and tile directly to these studs, I would have a nice gap between the tile and the tub, and this would defeat the whole idea of having the water go down the drain. I'll probably need to feather out all these studs about 1 inch so that the tile walls fit within the tub.

And now the Egypt situation has taken an interesting turn--Mubarak is apparently going to step down today, so I'm compelled to follow this constantly on the Internet so that I am well informed and able to make critical decisions if Obama or the CIA or the State Department gives me a call and asks me what to do. That is, after I take a nap. And I have yoga later this afternoon, so anytime this evening... before 9:30 would be better.

As usual, too many things to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment