Saturday, August 20, 2011

Rocket Science

It's time for the bottom row of tile around the tub. Each one of these tiles will need to be trimmed a little--some more than others because the tub itself is not level--on the wet saw so that I get an 1/8 inch gap between tile and tub. Because I started out with a nice level row, these cuts will be easy. I'll do the same on the walls next to the toilet and sink but only after I get the new floor down so that the wall tiles overlap the floor.

For the past few weeks I've been waking up at about 4:30am, and I spend the next hour or so in bed planning out the day. I see myself measuring the tiles, cutting the tiles, setting the tiles, almost one at a time. I walk through the order of events: when to remove the toilet, when to set the floor, when to do the grout, when to start on the door frames. I mentally organize things: where to put the toilet while I do the floor, where to move the wet saw because it is now in the way, where to put the plywood. Morning after morning, over and over, these details go through my head.

In the meantime I've started on the mirror frame using the small tiles bordered with the rope tiles, which will snake around the mirror and continue on the wall. I've cut the angles of the rope tiles countless times in my head.

It's not rocket science, is it?

My aunt Helen likes to make mirrors using sea shells. Mine won't be as nice as hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment