Monday, August 24, 2009

Cutting a Curve

After running away from Home Depot like a little girl Saturday, I went back on Sunday to pick up the wood. (To be honest I went to Lowes so that I wouldn't have another chance encounter with the bearded man.)

I got the wood home and put design on a fast track, focusing first on the curve. Wood workers in the past cut curves into wood by using special curved blades. Today you can quickly create a curve by running the boards over the table saw at an angle.

You might guess that circular saws came into existence with the first power tools, but they've been around since the 18th century when they were used to cut off the thumbs of fornicators. A good knife is probably best for fornicators today.

I lined up my new wood outside and decide to just do it--create my angle cuts and then the curves for my custom crown moulding. This all went quickly enough at first. Then I got to a tricky part and asked Cheryl for some help. Dressed in a black skull-happy-face T-shirt, white Capri pants and a smart-looking dust mask, she looked so cute that I forget why I even needed any help. In fact, I'm pretty sure I didn't actually need help but was just getting lonely outside. It's a good thing she enjoys this sort of work (click on the picture to make it larger).

Meanwhile Willow and Bingo practiced yoga in the living room (with Willow mostly just watching) followed by some meditation and power napping. Nothing was ever said about the unusual man in Home Depot, and the project continues as before, except that I am certain the puppy now has his orders.

1 comment:

  1. CD certainly looks like she is ready, why the mask, a lil dust scare you??

    ReplyDelete