Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Jack Plane

Quid sum miser tunc dicturus,
Quem patronum rogaturus,
Cum vix justus sit securus?

The Obama transition team is coming to visit this weekend so I am busy getting the new tile section finished. I spent 4 hours yesterday getting the oak trim pieces cut so that they rest on the floor and snuggle up to the tiles just so. To do this I got to use my small jack plane.

This little tool has been around, in one form or another, since the iron age. It has a sharp edge that extends ever so slightly through an opening on the bottom plane, so it peels off ribbons of wood so thin you can see though them. Back before power tools, this was the instrument of choice of all master carpenters, though the tools usually were made completely from wood except for the pointy blade. Ever seen Jesus's dad (not the baby-daddy) without one?

The new tile strip is about 1/2 inch higher, more or less, than the breakfast room considering that Willow stepped on some of the tiles while the mortar was still wet. She is out to get me again, probably for the incident last week when she got her paws wet. I'm doing my best to get along.

Getting the oak strips to fit was a challenge, but now they have a nice curve, making the rise between rooms hardly noticeable. They are now glued and nailed into place and I'm varnishing today. I'll grout the tiles tonight and be almost done (it will never be done).

Earlier this week Amy, the princess of Eckardia who is secretly finishing her education in this country, invited us to hear her sing in the choir--Mozart's Requiem. Cheryl and I enjoyed it very much. If you are not sure whether you've heard the Requiem, here is an interesting adaptation of the Introitus. Crank it up loud.



What then shall I say, wretch that I am?,
What advocate entreat to speak for me,
When even the righteous may hardly be secure?

No comments:

Post a Comment